Saturday 7 February 2015

Mermaid Nails.

It was brought to my attention the other day (the other day meaning months and months ago. This is another post that has been sitting in my account, gathering dust), that it has been ages since I have had a nail theme (Easter in fact). So while I was watching a cake making show on TV the other day – yes I do watch some rubbish on the Telly Box! -  they were making a mermaid themed cake. This cake was beautiful. It had blue sparkle, shimmer, bubbles, an octopus (ok that didn’t make it on to the nails), and with this as my inspiration, the mermaid nails were born.


I started with OPI base coat and then used two coats of Models Own nail polish in Indian Ocean NP133, which is a duo chrome blue/pink, on 8 of my nails. This left 2 accent nails which I painted with Rimmel's 703 Pear Drop, which is a shimmery green. I then used Technic nail polish in, wait for it................. Mermaid! for the glittery tips. This is a mix of blue spots and hexagonal glitter, suspended in clear nail polish. I had to do a bit of fishing to get the amount of glitter that I wanted on each nail, but I think you have to do that with most polishes of this kind. For the accent nail I painted the whole of the nail with top coat, and then using an orange stick placed white peals, blue pearls and blue crystals on the nail. These were from Ebay, and with a little hunting you can find a multitude of things to use to embellish your nails with, at super cheap prices. Once all the nails were suitably adorned, I used Seche Vite top coat to seal it all in.

As for a little review, I have one of those for you too. Both the Models Own and Rimmel nail polishes are new. As are the Seche Vite topcoat and the Technic glitter polish. The Models Own polishes retail at around £5 from Boots and even though the brush on this polish was a little splayed, I still really liked the consistency and the finish. So much so that I would be inclined to buy some more nail polishes from this range.



However the Rimmel polish was not so great. This polish was a bit streaky and I didn’t love the consistency. Even though Rimmel retail at £3 which is on the lower side of the monetary scale, I would not be inclined to buy any more polishes from them. The upside is that this polish was the only down side to this review.



Seche Vite topcoat (which I am sure some of you will have heard of, this has been around the blogosphere for forever) is acclaimed as “the world’s finest topcoat”, and they may not be wrong. I have only used this topcoat the once so far, but on first impressions it does in fact impress. I might even go as far to say that this is my favourite topcoat. A bold statement I know, and I’m sure it will come back to haunt me at a later date – when I am half way through the bottle and I am despairing because it has gone gloopy.



Lastly, the glitter polish. I think this is the cheapest of all the nail polishes that I have used in today’s nail look. I have seen this brand of nail polish in Body Care ( I am unsure of where this specific polish actually came from as it was a gift), and as a gift I actually have no clue how much it costs. This polish is really good! And I am excited about this because I am assuming that its also really cheap ( Body Care is renowned for being cheap). The glitter is gorgeous, not too chunky, and the clear polish is a nice consistency.



And the mermaid theme? Well its shimmery, blue and the crystals look a bit like water. Don’t they? Maybe? If not, it’s shimmery, blue and has crystals. What’s not to like?

Stacey x x

No comments:

Post a Comment